Hybrid Fundamentals of Search & Rescue
Course Dates: ONLINE Distance Learning Modules will
Open 10 March 2023
Skills Day Dates:
12-4 April 2023 (Pennsylvania)
Cost: $225.00 per person
The Fundamentals of Search and Rescue (FUNSAR) course is a 48 hour course and is the second, intermediate level of NASAR courses. It provides knowledge concerning the general responsibilities, skills, abilities, and the equipment needed by persons who are assigned to field operations during a SAR mission.
This first ever hybrid distance learning training program will allow you to complete all of the lectures online and at your own pace! Allowing you to take less time away from home and only be required to travel for one weekend to complete the course!
The FUNSAR course also provides the student with practical exercises in addition to a practice search mission where the students are required to have the proper equipment and stay out in the field during daylight and night time operations. The course content includes topics in three major areas: survival, support, search and rescue. This course is based around the rural and wilderness environments but the material is recommended as a basis for all SAR environments.
FUNSAR provides a common point in training for the new person to SAR and allows them to accumulate the required clothing and equipment needed for SAR operations in their community. The course also provides practical experience during simulated SAR operations and in many cases is an excellent refresher course for the more experienced SAR worker. This common starting point provides continuity during SAR operations and future training of all team members.
FUNSAR is the NASAR course designed to prepare the student to challenge the SARTECH II certification exam, according the knowledge objectives defined in the NASAR certification criteria for SARTECH II.
Who Should Attend:
- Those interested in becoming involved or have just become involved with search and rescue operations.
- SAR personnel who would like to maintain or refresh their knowledge of search and rescue.
- Emergency response personnel who belong to organizations who provide resources and assistance during search and rescue missions.
- Managers of emergency response organizations who want to understand the state of the art skills and knowledge needed by the SAR workers.
- Community members and groups (scouts, hunters, hikers, etc.) that have an interest in safety and preventative SAR operations.
Those who complete this training program will receive:
- A large portion of their SARTech 2 Position task book completed.
- A FUNSAR Completion Certificate
- A Intermediate GPS Endorsement Certificate
The SARTECH II exam is an additional fee. Candidates wishing to test will upon successful completion of the course will be offered a discounted testing fee. The FUNSAR text book NOT included in course tuition. A valid Wilderness First Aid card will be required to complete the testing portion of this program.
Testing will take place on 15 April 2023.
04/12/2023, 04/13/2023, 04/14/2023
Registration starts on 11/17/2022.
Please contact Sergeant Rescue if you have any questions.